Thursday, January 1, 2015

#66 CHANGED MY LIFE

     Pelican Promise is such a funny name for a Christian Blog.
  What was I thinking when I hit the "enter" key to finalize my name.

 Out of all the other names I could have used why 'Pelican Promise?

 It all started with my friend and fellow blogger Lori Roeleveld.  Her newly released book, "Running from a  Crazy Man"  has challenged me in my writing and my walk with Jesus.   Especially #66 "How a Talking Pelican Helped Me Dance with God"   With Lori's permission I am taking a segment of that blog to reveal to you why I chose the name "Pelican Promise".
"Part of my work on that day involved leading a community health class through a weight-loss book that was a little touchy-feely. I needed to prepare for class, so I read the chapter. The writer instructs the reader to stop and ask herself what’s going on in her body. Be specific. How does your body feel? Give the feeling a color, a texture, a name. Wow. How seriously stupid. Here I wanted to spend an amazing day with Jesus, and instead, I’m stuck leading a drum circle in the seventies. “Self,” I asked, “how does your body feel?” “Bleh,” my body answered. “Be specific.” I urged. “What color is your bleh?” “Gray. Gray, bloated, and full. I don’t know, like something by a foggy harbor. A pelican. A big, old bloated-beak pelican. That’s how my body feels.” And this helps me how? I don’t know anything about pelicans. How does this help?  Maybe I’ll just look up an online image of the bird. Yup, there it is. A pelican. That’s when I heard God’s offer to dance. With nothing more than a hunch and perhaps, the flashing image of a winking Savior, I wondered if pelicans had any spiritual symbolism. Pelicans? Symbolic pelicans? No way. I typed into the search engine: What do pelicans symbolize?  Greed? Scavengers? Nothing good, I’m sure. You can do your own search to verify, but I learned that in medieval Europe the pelican was a symbol of the passion of Jesus and of the Eucharist (because a mother pelican would provide her own blood for her hungry young when no other food was available). In fact, Saint Thomas Aquinas refers to Christ as “the loving divine pelican” in his hymn, “Adoro Te Devote.” I searched numerous websites and everywhere I looked, sure enough, pelicans symbolize self-sacrifice and particularly, the sacrifice of Christ. What did that mean to me on that gray day? Well, first, it reminded me that Jesus shows up on His schedule and in His own ways, not at my pouting demand or by my pushing the button labeled “devotional time.” Like a true friend, He decided to surprise me by showing up unexpectedly later in the day. Second, pelicans are truly ugly birds. They’re not beautiful symbols like eagles or doves. They’re homely. I was feeling homely. That month had been all about me sacrificing to serve my family. There hadn’t been much time for self-care. In one moment, God validated all of that. It seemed He was acknowledging that He noticed me, but at the same time, He was pointing to Himself
and His own example of sacrifice, His leadership in the path of laying down one’s life, the spilling of His own blood. In light of His example, my self-pity dissipated like fog at sunrise. Sacrifice isn’t beautiful—it’s bloody, painful, and unattractive. That’s why we need the power of Jesus Christ to do it right. He did it first. He did it best. The rest of us pale in our imitations."


        "I want to be like a Pelican!   Yes,  A Pelican.  Living a life of sacrifice.  Will you
       join me?

Be like a Pelican.

Pelicans are social -"Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts"  Acts 2:46

Pelicans are gregarious-  "Burst into songs of joy together, you ruins of Jerusalem, for the LORD has comforted his people, he has redeemed Jerusalem"  Isaiah 52:9

Pelicans have strong legs- "They are brought to their knees and fall, but we rise up and stand firm." Psalm 20:8

Pelicans can FLY-  "but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings" Isaiah 40:31

Pelicans sacrifice- " Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship." Romans 12:1.

      A Pelican lifestyle can be achieved.  God has given us the Holy Spirit to accomplish what He has ordained for us to do from the beginning of time.

"His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness." 2 Peter 1:3

  A true sacrifice of our time, energy and talents will be required of us.  Life will get ugly; we may get so weary our wings won't take flight.  Our legs may tremble from swimming against the tide for so long.  Like the Pelicans worst enemy, humans will fail us and commit the most grievous crime against us, leaving our entire world in ruins.
Take courage!  We are all in this together serving the same sacrificial God who knows us, loves us and died for us.  He promised never to leave us or forsake us. We can say,
"Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings." Psalm 63:7





Join me and become like
 a Pelican.  Chose to  live a life of sacrifice for Jesus.

  Together we can study the Word, pray and discover the "Pelican Promise"    the joys of living a life for Jesus.








"Pelican Promise"  is a weekly blog released Thursday mornings.   Pelicans will not be included in every blog. The sacrificial spirit will be interwoven in every line


Why I write-
"My goal is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ," Colossians 2:2


To purchase "Running From a Crazy Man" by Lori Roeleveld 
http://www.amazon.com/Running-Crazy-Other-Adventures-Traveling-ebook/dp/B00OYWP38Y/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1420055578&sr=8-9&keywords=running+crazy

copyright 2015 Cherrilynn Bisbano

4 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! I found your blog on Dani Johnson's FB page, of which I am a recent follower of Dani!

    When you mentioned you were a blogger, I wanted to come check it out. I've been blogging for about 8 years now, here and a previous site.

    I love the analogy about the Pelican. Great insight.

    Hope you have a great New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cherrilynn,
    You can find my blog at:

    www.a-million-skies.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you Debbie for stopping by I will go check out your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cherrilynn,
    I enjoyed reading about the history of your blog name. What a great concept. Didn't know this about pelicans. Hope you enjoy the rest of BRMCWC. Really enjoyed meeting you!
    Maresa DePuy

    ReplyDelete