Thursday, January 15, 2015

GROUNDS FOR ADDICTION



I have something to confess.  
I have an addiction.  It all started when I was in the NAVY.  I was stuck doing overnight shifts.    I could not keep my eyes open so I began drinking. I needed the stimulation.  Everyone else was doing it so why not me?   It began slowly.   I truly did not want to succumb to it.   After a few nights of fighting to stay awake on my own,   I had to join the night shift masses.   I turned to… COFFEE.  
That jolt of Java that promised to keep me awake.  That slap in the face from a dark brew.   I did not like the taste at first but it worked.  I was able to stay awake.   In the Navy, if you fall asleep on the job you can go to jail.   
Jail or Java?   Easy decision for me.  After a while I began liking the taste.  I even longed to go to work to get a drink.   I confess, I am a coffeeaholic.  I LOVE COFFEE.  It seems I cannot get my day started without it.  I cannot just jump out of bed and get going without having to pass the coffee pot and pour a mug.  I actually look forward to my morning Joe the night before.

Image result for I love coffee K-Cups are my favorite.  Whoever invented the Keurig is my hero.  Hot coffee at my fingertips without having to make an entire pot. That is Genius!     I have tried going without my jolt of java for a few days, but I get a headache.  I know that is a sign of addiction.  I could quit but I am addicted.  Turn to decaf, you say.  Why?  I would still be a zombie with the lingering taste of coffee on my lips.  That is unfair.  I know that I am not alone in this addiction.   Why, it was some of you who encouraged me to drink!   Are we bad people for needing this wake-up call every morning?   I personally don’t think so.  Why, there are shops created just for our addiction!   Places where we can meet with others just like us.   The heavenly aroma when I walk into…   Ahh.  But I digress.  I could go on and on about all different ways to make my morning motivator.  In fact, there is a name for those who have perfected the perfect cup.    All you coffeeholics, raise your cup and toast with me.  “Cheers to the Barista!”   “Now pour me another cup.”
  This morning, like every other morning, I went to make myself a cup.  I only had forty-five minutes before it was time to wake my son; I wanted to grab my cup and fellowship with God.   I long for that time, before the sun rises, to read the Word and sip my coffee.  I grabbed my cup from under the spout.   What?  An empty cup?    Guess what I forgot to do?  Put the water in the machine.   Now I have to do it all over again and wait.   My quiet time is slowly being eaten away by my lack of following proper Keurig procedure!  I made sure everything was set now.  K cup in. Water added.  Cup under spout.  Push the button.  WAIT.      I almost felt guilty… yes I said “almost”…  for getting so excited to hear the last portion of paradise pour into my cup.  When it finished, I slowly put the cup up to my mouth, whispering to myself, “Yes! A hot cup of pure joy.”  I could not wait to taste it.   “UGH PSSFT PSSFT   What?  What Happened?” I almost woke my son with my outburst.   I had to spit it out.  It was horrible.



Have you ever tasted lukewarm coffee?  YUCK!    More quiet time gone and I had to wait for yet another cup.   I thought I made the coffee correctly.  Now I was upset.  How could I ruin my coffee twice?   Seems that the heating element needed to cool down before I put the water in the second time.   Silly me.   I did not want to waste the coffee so I chugged it down.  Not satisfying at all.    


No one likes lukewarm anything.   Lukewarm is mediocre at best.   When it comes to people, lukewarm means half-hearted.    That is understandable.   When I drank that lukewarm coffee it was with a half-hearted enthusiasm.   
Even God hates lukewarm.


 “So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. “      Revelation 3:16  


Like I spit my coffee out because it was tepid, God will spit out those who are half-hearted or lukewarm in their service to Him. 


In the book of Revelation, the Apostle John is given a word from the Lord to give to the seven churches in the province of Asia.   Laodicea was one of those churches.  Laodicea was known for its lukewarm water because it was located between the hot springs of Hierapolis and the pure water of Colossae.   Some scholars believe the metaphor for hot and cold came from Laodicea’s location.    The Laodicean people were criticized for their lack of zeal for the Lord.  The English language refers to those that are neutral or indifferent in matters of faith as “Laodicean”.    Wow! Not a good description for people God blesses with riches; not a good description for anyone.  


“You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked.” Revelation 3:17


As I drink my hot cup of coffee and ponder the Word to the Church of Laodicea, my prayer is that I will be on fire for the Lord.   That I will not grow lukewarm by lack of obedience.  I want to serve my God with a wholehearted devotion and a willing mind.   Are you lukewarm in your walk?  Are you half-hearted in your obedience to your Creator?  Ask Him,  don't be afraid.


God gave the Church of Laodicea a warning and a promise.  We can claim that promise too.


     “Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent.  Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me. To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne.  Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”  Revelation 3:19-22.

Each morning, while I do the proper Keurig procedures with zeal, taking each step in order with the precise measure, may I be reminded to be even more zealous in my walk with Jesus.  Following the Holy Spirit's guidance.  Knowing that both will produce a fragrant aroma.

Will you join me?






copyright 2015 Cherrilynn Bisbano

No comments:

Post a Comment