Wednesday, February 4, 2015

MAMA DIDN'T RAISE NO FOOL


I LOST IT!   It’s gone.   I was so upset I refused to even look for it.
If I did not find it my family would be in dire need of emotional repair.

 What a helpless state I was in.  I was so caught up in my own selfishness I only saw red.



What did I lose?   What is this thing that could bring pain and destruction to my family?

My temper… My Self Control. ….my mind!


  I pray that you will keep reading this knowing that I am a flawed follower of Christ.   One who crushes the fruit of the spirit because I want my own way.

  I hate losing my temper, I hate it when the flesh takes over.  It doesn’t happen often. 
 But that is no excuse. 

 I so long to react to every defiant answer from my child, or flippant remark from a loved one, with a gentle answer;

Even if they don’t.

Our family verse is
  “A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.” Proverbs 15:1

  So why did I lose it this morning?  Why did I yell?  

 I know ,

“Do not be quickly provoked in your spirit, for anger resides in the lap of fools.” Ecclesiastes 7:9

A FOOL!

Ouch!  The word of God calls me a fool, and I felt like one. 

 I don’t want to be a fool anymore.

 Wait!   The verse says “resides in the lap of fools”,



There still may be hope for me after all.


The Hebrew word for “resides” is

  nuwach  -    which means  rest, settle down, remain.        

Anger does not need to remain. 


I visualized the anger falling from my lap crashing to the floor.
 I need to stand.
Stand up against foolishness.

So how do I stop acting like a fool?

Anger goes deep. Getting to its root is vital for change.

My friend, Cecil Murphy, describes it this way”

“I'm Seldom Angry About What I think I'm Angry About”-Cecil Murphy


I believe that anger is sometimes seeded in unmet expectations.
I get angry when my son does not act as I expect .


I get angry when no one listens to me.
I expect respect, is that too much to ask?



My prayer,

“Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.  See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.’ Psalm 139:23-24

How loving is our God to slowly show my sin and shortcomings.

This morning, my anger was due to pride.

Things were not done the way that I thought they should be…
So I got angry.

What makes you angry?  How do you react?



Are you a Hothead or Cool as a cucumber?

“Whoever is patient has great understanding, but one who is quick-tempered displays folly.” Proverbs 14:29

I know you don’t want to be foolish either so let’s join together and...

“Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice.” Ephesians 4:31

Remember these two promises;

“For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace.” Romans 6:14

“Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death” Romans 8:1-2

 Christ conquered sin at the cross.

Ask God to search your heart.

Is there unresolved pain from the past?

 He will heal it. -Heal me, LORD, and I will be healed; save me and I will be saved, for you are the one I praise.” Jeremiah 17:14

Is there an unmet expectation?

  He is your hope.-“Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.” Psalm 25:5

Whatever the cause, the result of Anger can be destructive.

Let’s stand against it.
Let’s commit to be controlled by the Spirit not by our emotions.
Remember..
WE ARE NOT FOOLS!

Copyright 2015 Cherrilynn Bisbano

No comments:

Post a Comment