Thursday, March 12, 2015

ADHD MEETS DISCIPLINE

“STOP!” I screamed as I grew more and more frustrated.  “I can’t focus! How am I going to get this book done? “  I have ADHD.   I did not realize I had it until my son was diagnosed with it 10 years ago.  Finally I had an answer to my fidgeting, lack of concentration, unfinished projects and my urge to blurt things out during a conversation because I am afraid that the words will escape me.  I knew that I needed focus and discipline to finish the book.

Image result for SQUIRREL   What happens when ADHD meets discipline?     It seems like a squirrel scrambling to collect nuts.  There are so many that he stops in his tracks;   “Which way do I go?”  “Which nut do I focus on first?  Which one is the biggest? “   I am that squirrel, having  a hundred  thoughts flashing around in my brain.  “What chapter to I focus on today?   What will touch the reader’s heart?  What Bible verses do I want to use?”   LUNCH!


“Lord, I need help!”  I knew God would not call me to write and then leave me scurrying about gathering up words that don’t make sense.   My biggest problem is finishing a task.   I continued to pray.  A friend of mine mentioned a Discipleship Counseling Course that He had just completed through Eternity College.  The course was free.   I like free.   I signed up and found myself with ten hours of homework each week.  Homework that would change my life forever.   We had to complete the book, “You Can Change” by Tim Chester.   The book states to pick one thing you want God to help you change.  I chose Procrastination.  Working through the book helped me to figure out why I procrastinate.  It is not just ADHD.  It is disobedience and fear of success.  I can’t blame the squirrel for everything.    I searched the scriptures.

“I can do all things through him who strengthens me.”Philippians 4:13

“And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.”2 Corinthians 9:8

This next verse became my marching orders.


     

  “Now finish the work, so that your eager willingness to do it may be matched by your completion of it, according to your means.”
 2 Corinthians 8:11.





I try to apply these verses daily.  I have more discipline because I  keep a written schedule to stay on task.
I still struggle with ADHD.  I am learning to listen to others without interrupting. Squirrels still invade my day, and sometimes I follow. . 
Have you ever watched a squirrel?  They chase each other up and down trees, scurry across the yard, hang from the bird feeder, and gather nuts like it is a relay race.   Seems like a bunch of craziness to me. However, their work gets accomplished and they have fun while doing it.   I am learning from my squirrel friends while  enjoying the process of writing.  God gets me back on track if I follow the squirrel too far.

I accept my ADHD and give God the glory for using this squirrel chaser to further His Kingdom.



copyright 2015 Cherrilynn Bisbano



4 comments:

  1. Cherrilynn, this will help other poets and writers too, so I highlighted your post on the Christian Poets and Writers blog - www.christianpoetsandwriters.com. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so very much Mary, I pray that many are helped by it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the 2 Corinthians verse. Just finish! I don't have ADHD that I know of, but am a fine procrastinator. I think a written schedule of goals is very helpful. Break it down so it doesn't feel overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathy that is my go to verse when I start to procrastinate. So glad the Word helps us all Thank you for reading

    ReplyDelete