Thursday, May 14, 2015

ROUGE WAVE REDEMPTION

I woke to a rooster crowing at 3:30am. I  rolled off the uncomfortable church pew and ate my breakfast.  We were invited  by a pastor and his family to show "The Jesus Film". 
As we all stretched, yawned and got the kinks out of our bodies Bob read the morning devotion. We gathered our gear for the day and the  team headed for the beach located about 500 yards away. This was no ordinary beach. It was a beach in El Salvador called El Playa de Cuco. I believe it means “crazy beach” — a good name to express the crazy time we had that day.
As we walked onto the beach, the sky was cloudy and the air warm and dense. We set up the volleyball net and played with the kids that lived on the beach.  Many called the beach home.
The beach was filled with huts made of straw and wood.  These huts were very small.
Mothers were nursing their babies and cooking meals on campfires outside the huts. Some of the men were sitting around talking. 
Volleyball was fun but I started getting tired and grumpy.  I left the game, sat on one of the logs and wrote in my journal.

7/2/96 12 Noon

“We have been playing volleyball with the local teens on the beach! I now have 5 boys watching me write in my book. Make that 7. I have had a tough time with one of the team today! Lord Help me to keep a positive attitude. Boys and girls on the beach: Jobane, Angel, Miguel, Jose Armondo, Jose Natale, Manuel Antonio, Manuel, Gabriel, Herbert, Jonel, Elisha.
I have been talking to the boys on the beach. They have been helping me learn Spanish. Mitita = little boy. They are only 3yrs-6yrs.
Lord, Thank you for a log for our stuff or it would have been taken out to sea! We have not taken showers since yesterday morning. No Power! No Water! We must smell ripe! Thank you for allowing me to be able to communicate with the Children, Lord. Thank you for life. I love the people they are so friendly. We are almost playing v-ball in the houses on the beach (water was coming close to us and the homes). I love you Father. Gracias."

I put my journal away and went to the 8 x2 foot log where our backpacks were resting.  The one I had just thanked God for. I wanted to get candy for the kids.  Suddenly I heard screaming...


1 pm (journal entry)

WIPED OUT by a big wave! Gloria a Dios (Glory to God), no one was hurt but me. 3 kids went under the hut. All of us went flying. I tried to grab the bag and had a hold of it but the wave took the big log right with it. I was behind the log and it knocked me over. My legs are all cut up and bruised! Babies were everywhere. All are fine though. The locals helped us gather our things. A man named Pablo let us use his table and wash off in his water. (He had the only fresh water well within miles of the beach) Pablo gave Cheryl some blue ointment for the cuts on my legs. I told him that he was an angel sent from heaven. May he come to know you if he does not yet know you, you are most awesome Lord and worthy to be praised."
Enjoying a soda while cleaning our gear.
Left to Right: Bob, Cherrilynn, Cheryl and Elmer

We thanked Pablo and gave him "The Gospel of John". We left the beach to gather our thoughts, have a soda and clean our gear. We praised God for keeping us safe as we remembered the verse,

"When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze." Isaiah  43:2"



That night we had soup for dinner. It consisted of fish, crabs, shrimp and veggies. They put the entire fish in the soup so I called it “Here’s lookin' at you” soup! We showed the Jesus film outside to about 220 people. Right at the crucifixion scene the wind picked up, the rain poured down and everyone fled.  The spiritual warfare was evident that night.

The next morning we went to see Pablo again!

7/3/96 10:20am

Visited Pablo. He loved the peanut butter (peanut butter is a delicacy there). But, he really loved the book that we gave him yesterday. He stayed up all night reading it!

The next day we said our good byes and  traveled back to Honduras. From there we boarded  a plane home to Rhode Island.

We kept in touch with the Pastor of that church.  He told us that the Pablo was so excited about his book and wanted to know more about Jesus.  Pablo is now a child of the living God and leading others to Jesus.
 God used a rouge wave to save a soul.  I found out recently that waves like that were very rare for El Playa de Cuco until that day.
  I still have some discoloration on each shin bone. Every time I look at my legs I smile and thank God for that opportunity to meet Pablo and give him the good news of salvation through Jesus Christ.  

Have the waves of life wiped you out?
Have the result left scars or discoloration?
My dear friend, I know it is not easy. My prayer is that you will trust God for the outcome.
He loves you.

 "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified. Romans 8:28-30"



copyright 2015 Cherrilynn Bisbano

1 comment:

  1. Great story Cherrilynn. I love that you remember Pablo every time to see the marks on your shins, remembering how God used a wave to save a soul.

    ReplyDelete