Thursday, July 23, 2015

ATTITUDE AJUSTMENT

UGH! Not Morning, Again?   I did not want to get out of bed!   Life was too hard.  My husband had not been working for almost a year.  The bills were plenty and the food was gone.  My 5yr old son was diagnosed with Asperger’s and ADHD.  He was having such a difficult time in school.   He would kick, scream, bite, and pull hair. He tried to communicate his feelings but did not know how to.  I didn’t know how to help him and did not have the energy to even try.   I felt like a failure as a mom.   My  chronic illness rendered my entire body useless.  I barely had enough strength or energy to put the dishes in the dishwasher or fold a load of laundry.
Life’s trials had truly overwhelmed me. 
Have you ever felt that way?   Be honest! God knows your innermost thoughts and feelings.  
Of course I knew that difficulty was part of life.  I would teach it to other women.  So why did I feel so defeated?
  I threw the covers over my head, sighed and said,
 "I needed an attitude adjustment."

   "Go to your Bible and looked up the word attitude!”   The Holy Spirit  whispered to my heart. 
 I slowly and in pain walked down the stairs, poured my coffee and began my study.  
I could not believe how many Bible verses mention attitude.  Let's review a few.
 You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires;  to be made new in the attitude of your minds;  and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.” Ephesians 4:22 – 24 (NIV)
Attitude adjustment is mandatory.  
In the original language the verb tense for "put off" means a one time throwing it off.  The verb tense for "put on" is a continual action of putting on.     
I think of an old dirty, stinky shirt that you can't get off your body quick enough; you just want to burn it.   Then, everyday, you can put on a fresh, beautiful garment that never spoils or fades.
What a concept.   No more dirty laundry. No more dirty way of thinking.  Only a new way of thinking.
The Word changes our attitude .  It is alive.  It can hug us when we need encouragement or slap us up side our head if we need an attitude change (don't be offended, God has to do that to some of us who are stubborn).

“For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.” Hebrews 4:12 (NIV)

That morning I desperately needed an attitude change.  
I kept studying.  My bad attitude began to change to a thankful attitude as I was reminded of the attitude of Christ. 

" Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus,  who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men.  Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross." Philippians 2:5-8 (NASB)

A tear rolled down my check.  "Lord, help me to have that attitude."
I asked God to give me an acrostic for attitude. I do much of my teachings using acrostics.  I did not think He could do it. (guess my attitude still needed adjusting.) What He gave me sent chills down my spine.
A – A.
T – Thought. 
T – That. 
I – Ignites. 
T – True. 
U – Undivided. 
D – Devotion. 
E – Every time
Oh to always  be consumed with thoughts that ignite a wholehearted devotion to serve my Heavenly Father.
 I instantly thought of one of my favorite bible verses.
 “ my son Solomon; acknowledge the God of your father and serve Him with wholehearted devotion and with a willing mind for the Lord searches every heart and understands every motive behind the thoughts ...” 1 Chronicles 28:9 (NIV)
"Make my mind willing, Lord!  Change my attitude"

Did you know that your brain can only think of one thing at a time?   You can chose what you think about.  
I want an attitude like Christs.   I chose to think about Jesus and  claim His promises.
Will you join me in an attitude adjustment?

copyright 2015 Cherrilynn Bisbano




18 comments:

  1. Love the acrostic. I don't want to be slapped because I know Jesus would not do that to me but I know He would gently adjust me. So yes Jesus change my attitude every hour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement. I can be very stubborn so God has to really get my attention. Now that I listen more He is gentle.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I struggle with frying-pan syndrome. I tend to ignore what God is telling me until He finally slaps me upside the head with a frying pan. I pray for more sensitive ears and for an obedient heart. It's slowly happening. He is full of grace and patience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Sherry, He is an awesome heavenly Father. I am amazed at His grace, love and mercy. Thank you for visiting my blog

      Delete
  4. Thank you for this devotion and for the amazing acrostic. I want my thoughts to please God. He hears them all the time! :) This helps me to be mindful of not complaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by. I am so blessed that it helps. I have to daily, and sometimes moment by moment, chose what to think about. It can truly be a battle.

      Delete
  5. Love the acrostic God gave you. I'll have to remember that. Great devotion today and a great reminder from the verses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Ginger. It has truly helped me with my attitude. Thank you for visiting my blog. It means a great deal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post is filled with transparency, honesty and a real visual meaning with the clever acrostic. I had to post the picture of you cat on Pinterest for others to be blessed with your message.

    I lived through the "most offal and wonderful" year my husband was without a job. Those days stretched me like no yoga class did. However, the experience opened my heart's eye to see beyond a sister''s make-up.

    Wrapping you in prayers for the day you will be throwing off the bed covers to shine with the unexpected blesses Christ has for you and your husband.

    Write on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn,. I covet your prayers. Tiggy loves being on Social Media, she is a ham. Love your comment, "Those days stretched me like no yoga class did. However, the experience opened my heart's eye to see beyond a sister''s make-up." Very descriptive. It made me smile.

      Delete
  8. I'm now a subscriber to your posts and excited to keep in touch. Praying for you'll is a pleasure plus other's prayers are difference makers when we want to keep our heads under cover. : )

    Shine on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yup. Needed this today. God has been bombarding me with messages about changing my attitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy I will pray with you. I have to re read this message often. God is good to be patient with us. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  10. This is a great post, Cherrilynn.
    I posted the black and white attitude pictures on the Christian Communicators "Scriptures and Quotes" Pinterest board. The goal is to have viewers go to your post. Write on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn, Thank you so much for the encouragement. My prayer is that many will be blessed by it.

      Delete