Thursday, July 9, 2015

THE SHARKS ARE CIRCLING.

Image result for shark fin     "There was nothing in sight anywhere except for a few shark fins circling the raft at about 500 feet away"  
     I listened in amazement as my father in law shared the heart wrenching account of the torpedoing of the USS Lavallette in the Coral Sea during the battle of Guadalcanal.
     "The Lavallette was smoke screening the USS Chicago (a heavy cruiser) when it was attacked by dive bombers and torpedo planes.  I was assigned to the after engine room and had left to go the the galley for a fresh pitcher of water when the torpedo hit.  There was a brilliant flash, followed by a loud rumble and an on rush of heated air that was breath-taking."  
      I gasped as this brave sailor, now in his 80's recalled the story like it was yesterday.  Tears fill my eyes as he shared how he dove into the oil slicked waters, found a safe place to surface, and was rescued by his shipmates floating on a raft.
     There were about fifty men, some injured.  The uninjured took turns hanging over the side because there was not enough room in the raft for all the men.   
     "I wore my shark repellent all the time, I did not think I would need it but like a good soldier I was always dressed for battle."   What this gallant man told me next sent chills down my spine. 
     "I saw my brothers eaten by sharks,as they hung over the side of the raft,  because they did not wear their repellent."   A tear filled his eye as he shook his head. "If only they listened and put on everything they needed, they would be alive today."

Image result for spiritual battle
  
 
 We are always in a spiritual battle.  



We have an enemy that circles us like a savage animal waiting to devour us.

Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. 1 Peter 5:8

Ephesians 6 commands us to be prepared; to put on the full Armor of God.

     We must put on our own armor and not rely on another persons armor.  I think of young David when he went to King Saul to announce that he would fight the giant Goliath. King Saul tried to put his armor on David to protect the boy.  It did not fit.
     David knew who would fight the battle for him.


"The Lord who rescued me from the paw of the lion and the paw of the bear will rescue me from the hand of this Philistine.” 1 Samuel 17:37
as David faced the Giant He proclaimed
“You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the Lord Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel"  1 Samuel 17:45
Our armor is Jesus Christ. 

Image result for put on christ  We pray to acknowledge that we are in Christ; that He is our protection.  


"For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ."  Galatians 3:27

 "But put on the Lord Jesus Christ."   Romans 13:14 

     Our only offensive weapon is the Word of God. 
 The more we know the Word the more we know Jesus.  This knowledge will make our spiritual armor impenetrable.
    Warn your brothers and sisters, especially those closer to the battle lines or outside the raft.  They must be fully prepared.
    My father in law returned home, raised a beautiful family and became a pillar of courage and integrity in his home town.  As a praying man, he was always prepared for battle.
     The sharks are circling.  Are you prepared?

      

copyright 2015 Cherrilynn Bisbano




2 comments: