Friday, September 18, 2015

THE SPOTLIGHT FADES

I bet you can’t sing!”  Cried a voice from the back of the room.   “No, she is too ugly to sing,”   another  boy said. 
 In the sixth grade, I was shunned and made fun of for being poor. I did not wear the latest fashion. In fact, I wore the same three outfits.
 One afternoon I was heckled into trying out for the part of Nancy in our school play.  
 “She is chicken!" I heard Sue cackle. 
Janice had just finished her beautiful rendition of Where is Love.   Everyone knew Janice had the best voice in the class.   I truly wanted to be accepted. I went up to the piano and waited for the music to begin.  The class snickered. I could hear, “she is a fool”, “she can’t sing”,   “She is ugly!” 
 I wanted to cry.  I remained strong. The piano played,  I opened my mouth and sang.    
I saw shock and awe on the faces of my classmates.
Janice looked mad, the music teacher looked pleased, the boys looked down at their shoes and I got the part of Nancy in our class play, Oliver Twist.   
 Opening night I could see my parents in the audience, the lights were bright and I was in heaven.   
I loved having the spotlight on me.  I sang the song flawlessly and received many accolades and hugs from parents and friends. Janice and Sue, the most popular girls in class, acknowledged my existence with a "Great job, Cherrilynn.   I was not the brunt of anymore jokes.  

Only a few weeks after the curtain closed, my classmates forgot about the play and me.
I was crushed; they only liked me because I could do something special. 
The funny thing is,  I can't sing like that anymore.   

People can be fickle and mean.
I have watched as starlets get put on a pedestal one day, just to have it yanked out from under their feet the next. The aftermath has been tragic.

Do you feel betrayed or forgotten? 

Our Heavenly Father is thinking about you right now. He is your steady rock; unmovable and unshakable.   
The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer,
my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge,
my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. Psalm 18:2


When life is overwhelming...
when people disappoint you...
God is there to uphold you.  
He loves you just the way you are. 
I pray you look to Him for your identity and purpose.  He will never forsake you.

The LORD your God is in your midst,
a mighty one who will save;
he will rejoice over you with gladness;
he will quiet you by his love;
he will exult over you with loud singing. Zephaniah 3:17




Imagine God singing over you.  He wants to be the source of your joy; the reason for living.  His spotlight is on you and He likes what He sees.


4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Cherrilynn, for that encouraging post. How very cruel we humans can be to one another! I think it's quite amazing how you so boldly auditioned for the part. Good for you! We need to often be reminded that we "perform" before an audience of ONE-- our Heavenly Father, Who loves us with unfailing love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connie, Yes Yes...Thank you for the reminder that we perform for an audience of ONE. Thank you for stopping by. You have encouraged me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fame is fleeting, Cherrilynn. That's why it's so awesome that we don't have to do anything special or try to earn God's love. He just loves us. I'm glad you auditioned. That took amazing courage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen, Cathy. Thank you for stopping by. Thank you for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete