Thursday, September 10, 2015

UNNECESSARY GUILT

 Everything was my fault.  At least that is how I felt . 
If a friend or family member was unhappy I blamed myself. If there was a deadly tornado in the mid west, somehow it was my fault because I did not pray about it.  If two people were whispering it had to be about me.
What a selfish mindset. I needed freedom.


There are two kinds of guilt. 

Before salvation- Everyone stands guilty of sin before God. We are judged by the Law or 10 Commandments.

Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned: Romans 5:12 KJV

For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become accountable for all of it. James 2:10 ESV


After salvation- We feel guilty when we sin against our Father in Heaven.
Therefore, as one trespass led to condemnation for all men, so one act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all men. Romans 5:18 ESV

So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand. Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? Romans 7:21,24

Before Salvation

I think of Isaiah 6:1-6
In the year that King Uzziah died I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up; and the train of his robe filled the temple.  Above him stood the seraphim. Each had six wings: with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew. And one called to another and said:
“Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts;
the whole earth is full of his glory!”
And the foundations of the thresholds shook at the voice of him who called, and the house was filled with smoke.  And I said: “Woe is me! For I am lost;for I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts!”
 Then one of the seraphim flew to me, having in his hand a burning coal that he had taken with tongs from the altar. And he touched my mouth and said: “Behold, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away, and your sin atoned for.”

 Isaiah was a righteous, godly man by all outward appearance. Yet when he saw God in His splendor and holiness,  he acknowledged how sinful he was in comparison.

 Isaiah's sin had to be burned away; the fire of judgment was applied to his sin. Once Isaiah  had been convicted of his sin, and cleanse from its guilt, then he was ready to serve God.



All believers are here to serve God.  We still sin.  So what do we do with that guilty feeling?

After Salvation

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9 ESV

This is agreeing with God that what we did was wrong and asking Him to provide the strength to walk in righteousness.

We may still feel guilty.  When we sin against our God we have a spiritual wound that needs to heal. The feeling is the healing process, not guilt.
Our enemy wants us to keep feeling guilty...
The truth...You stand righteous before God 

 even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love Ephesians 1:4 ESV

Know that your heavenly Father loves you and disciplines you.  
He does not want you walking around feeling guilty or defeated.

As I learned this I began to focus on my Abba and not myself.   I claimed His promises.  
Now, I am free.

Do you struggle with guilty feelings?



Let us draw near to God with a sincere heart and with the full assurance that faith brings, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water. Hebrews 10:22 NIV


2 comments:

  1. Yikes! You assumed a lot of responsibility - even accepting blame for a tornado! A friend recently suggested confessing specifically for sin rather than in generalities. We need to do both, of course, because we're not always aware of our sin. I'm giving that a try - as well as claiming specific promises.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! We are not always away of our sin. I am glad that I am free of that way of thinking. I pray, Search me oh God. He does reveal my sin to me. We are so blessed that He loves us so much that He reveals it in love and not all at the same time. Thank you for your encouragement
    .

    ReplyDelete