Friday, October 30, 2015

I HOPE HE GETS WHAT HE DESERVES

"I hope he gets what he deserves!"  I said.  
These words echoed in my heart 25 years ago.
I was violated, hurt and left with deep wounds.   
I wanted my abuser to hurt as bad as I hurt.  

THE PRAYER has transformed me.
Over time, I  forgave the person who left scars on my soul.  I even prayed for him.  I no longer waited for the day I could laugh when something bad happened to him.
I  was free to forgive.
Have you ever rejoiced when something bad happened to someone?
I have, and I am not proud of it.
As we continue to pray and learn how to love deeply and sacrificially, let's pray for ourselves as well as the one who hurt us.

Lord help me to have Love that does not rejoice at wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth.  Love that bears all things believes all things, hopes all things, and endures all things.

Definitions adapted from  BLUE LETTER BIBLE

wrongdoing - adikiaunrighteousness of heart and life, injustice
Truth-  alētheia: of truth, in reality, in fact, certainly
Bearsstegō:  to cover with silence, suffer, hide, conceal
Believespisteuō:  to think to be true, to be persuaded of, to credit, place confidence in
Hopeelpizō: expect to trust in
Endurehypomenō: to remain i.e. abide, not recede or flee, persevere



The realization that Christ also died for the sin of my abuser penetrated my heart.

The Truth: God cares for every soul, even the one that is so deep in a darkness that there seems to be no way out.
God's radical change in my heart has me praying for the souls of murders, thieves, and child molesters. (now that's radical)



Many people rejoiced when an inmate named Jeffery Dahmer was murdered in prison.
"He is going to burn in hell for what he did," one man said.
"That animal deserves to die," another echoed.
Jeffery Dahmer committed the most heinous crimes; He is known as the Milwaukee Cannibal. Jeffery was a serial killer and sex offender, who committed the rape, murder, and dismemberment of seventeen men and boys between 1978 and 1991.
I prayed for his soul.  Little did I know that
Curt Booth, a member of the Crescent Church of Christ in Oklahoma, was phoned by the prison to perform a baptism on Jeffery.   Why such a change in heart for this mad man?

 While in prison, Dahmer studied the Bible, repented of his sins and was baptised.  
Booth continued to study the Bible with Jeffery for a few months before he was murdered by a fellow inmate.

The Apostle Paul, before he was saved, hunted Christians. he had them thrown in jail or stoned to death.

But Saul, still breathing threats and murder against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest and asked him for letters to the synagogues at Damascus, so that if he found any belonging to the Way, men or women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem. Acts 9:1-2

 God's love captured his heart and replaced it with a desire to serve the ones he once despised. Paul wrote most of the New Testament. Some of his letters were written from prison. 

King David had his servant Uriah sent to the front lines of the battle to be killed. He needed to cover his sin of committing adultery with Uriah's wife, Bathsheba. 
God called him a man after his own heart.


No soul is beyond the reach of God's saving love.

Jesus said But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, Matthew 5:44



Will you join me in praying for the wicked?
Praying for them does not mean we agree with their sin. It means we trust the one who died for that sin.
Ultimate love is wanting even the vilest sinner to repent and have the hope of eternal life.

2 comments:

  1. Good insights. I blogged about something similar a while back. I like what you said about how praying for someone doesn't meant we agree with their sin--it means we trust the one who died for that sin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh Thank you. I would love to read your blog. You can post it here if you would like. Others would probably love to glean from it too.

      Delete