Friday, October 23, 2015

NEED PATIENCE?

"I have no patience when it comes to you fooling around, I told you to clean this room," I said to my then five-year-old son as he sat on his bed.  
"I don't know where to put my books, I don't remember where anything goes," He said with tears in his eyes.
The Holy Spirit reminded me that I am to teach and guide; not to expect my son to know the task after showing him one time. 
Now who was the foolish one? 
I apologized and prayed  THE PRAYER for both myself and my son.
Oh to have God's love sweep the cluttered rooms of my heart, filling each shelf with patience, kindness, and joy.
 There would be fewer tears and more understanding in my life.

We have been praying THE PRAYER for one month now.
Have you seen any changes? I have.  I admit I was surprised at how soon it occurred.
Those I pray for seem happier like a burden has lifted from them.  Thank you, Lord.
However, mild depression clouded my heart.  I did not pray for myself.  Silly me.  
The cloud lifted when I began to include myself in prayer.
As we continue to pray, let's ask God to reveal those He specifically wants us to lay before His feet.

"Your love that is patient and kind; love that does not envy, boast, is not arrogant or rude. Love that does not insist on its own way, not irritable or resentful." 
 1 Corinthians 13:4-5 (adaptation) 

All definitions are adapted from BLUE LETTER BIBLE  ESV version.
Patient- makrothymeō: to be long-spirited, longsuffering, endure, slow to anger, and slow to punish

Kind- chrēsteuomai: to show oneself useful, act benevolently.

Envy- zēloō:  to have warmth of feeling for or against, affect, covet, be jealous over.

Boast- perpereuomai: a self-display, employing rhetorical embellishments in extolling one's self excessively, brag

Arrogant- physioō: to be puffed up, to bear one's self loftily, be proud

Rude- aschēmoneō: to act unbecomingly (not according to standard)

God's love toward us reveals itself in this prayer.  If you struggle with self-loathing, bitterness, anger or any sin, put your name in the prayer.

Your love that is patient and kind with Cherrilynn...not rude, irritable or resentful toward Cherrilynn.

Try it with your name.
The result of praying this prayer helped me to love others.
"I could never forgive that person!"  I thought to myself, "and God wants me to love them?
Enduring abuse as a child wreaked havoc in many areas of my life.  I knew God wanted me to forgive...but how?
I did not have the strength or desire to love that person. 
 In my eyes, that person deserved the wrath of God not forgiveness.
I turned to Scripture.




and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us. Romans 5:5








Knowing that I have God's love in me gave me hope. 
 I can
 love the unlovable,
 forgive the unforgivable,
 and pray for what seems to be a hopeless situation.
The Living and Active Word of God has gone deep into my bitter soul and eradicated the hate and replaced it with love.  
I shed my rude, arrogant behavior and replace it with kindness and patience.
Is there someone you need to love more? Someone who has violated you, hurt you, lied to you or slandered you?"
Will you join me in aligning our hearts with the heart of God?
God wants us free from the burdens of bitterness, guilt, anger and pain.
Let's leave bitterness and anger beind.
We no longer need to be jealous when someone gets the job, car, or relationship we want.  We will be happy for them because we love them with the love of God.


This will happen when we pray THE PRAYER.

What do you struggle with?  
Will you pray for me as I pray for you?

7 comments:

  1. "Oh to have God's love sweep the cluttered rooms of my heart, filling each shelf with patience, kindness, and joy." Loved this image of cluttered rooms in our heart. I'm visiting a friend who had a two year old, and I have a renewed appreciation for patience and grace as i watch her with her son. Thank you for the challenge to pray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginger, I still lack patience. Like you, I have watched other moms and appreciate their patience. I learn from them. I did respond to your post earlier I don't know what happened to it. Thank you for visiting. I value your comments. God bless you sister.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do I struggle with? Self-righteousness. I abhor it but succumb to it constantly, comparing myself to others. God help me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same, Cathy. Jealousy creeps in on me too. A pastor told me, If you are aware of it that is the biggest part of the battle. Thank you for your honesty. I appreciate you.

      Delete
  4. Cherrilynn, I think it's effective to pray God's Word back to Him. The verses that you combined in "The Prayer" are all about love, and I can see how to live out that love through your posts. So thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katy, you always encourage me. Thank you. We know God's #1 Commandment is to love Him, then others. This prayer has transformed me from the inside out. I have learned to love those that I thought I would despise forever. God is so good to break the chains of unforgiveness.

      Delete