Thursday, December 10, 2015

TALK TO GOD ALL DAY? -A Kiss and a Prayer

"Do you ask God for Help while you're at School?" I asked my son as we walked home from the bus stop.
"No, Mom, I get so busy I forget to pray."
My heart sank.  My son and I read the Bible and listen to Christian music each morning at breakfast.  I taught him how to pray. I felt like a failure.
As I silently prayed, God reminded me that parents are to teach and guide, which takes time and patience.  Kids don't always get the lesson the first time, and neither do adults.
I made my son an afternoon snack.


"Do you know that you can talk to God all day?"
"Yes, I will try to remember." my son said as he placed his backpack on the floor.
As I gave him the grapes, I said, "Let's pray every morning before you go to school."
"YES!  I would love that, Mom."
The next morning my husband and I held my son's hands and prayed with him. 
I took his beautiful face, look into his eyes and said, "Call on the name of the Lord, He will help you and listen to whatever you want to tell Him."  
I gave him a kiss on the cheek.
My son walked out the door singing, "I Will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised."
My heart filled with joy as I hummed the tune all day.
A kiss and a prayer are our morning ritual now. It helps us to remember that we can call on the name of the Lord all day.
Our home is more joyful as we practice praying all day.
The busyness of life still creeps in trying to rob me of my constant contact with my Abba.  
He is so good to remind me to call on His Name.
He is waiting for you and me to spend time with Him.
The Lord is near to all who call on Him, to all who call on Him in Truth Psalm 145:18

What keeps you from calling on the name of the Lord during the day?



4 comments:

  1. Great reminder--yes, busyness can distract us from prayer. We have to be intentional and train ourselves to pause and pray. At least I do. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Leigh, Yes, I have to be intentional and train to pause and pray. I am so thankful we have an ABBA who loves us and is patient with us. I read Brother Lawrence's book, Practicing the Presence It changed my prayer life. Have you read it? Have a blessed Christmas season, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful habit! You are truly raising your son in the Lord. I can't say the same for me and my family. Getting them to church once a week was a struggle met by many complaints and eye rolls. Reading scripture an praying with them before school feels like a dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, You are living the life for your children and they see that. Have a blessed Christmas.

      Delete